How To Tell If Ants Around Your Salado Property Are Dangerous
Some pests are so varied and multitudinous that controlling all of them is an impossible task. Ants, for example, can range from relatively harmless to incredibly destructive, depending on the species. As such, it’s important to know how to spot an infestation and to identify it properly. Only then can you work to address the problem.
Ants: What To Know
While they are mostly considered harmless pests, ants are incredibly common invaders of Salado homes and businesses. They are foraging pests that roam far and wide in search of food, which inevitably brings them to properties. What makes ants so tough to get rid of is their effective caste system, which produces members of ant society to fit specific purposes. From workers to soldiers to reproductive queens, there are literally thousands of ants one must destroy or drive off in order to truly solve an ant problem. That’s why even nuisance varieties of ants can be pervasive and tough to handle.
Nuisance Ant Varieties
When you picture an ant, you probably think of the harmless kind that crawls around on the pavement or marches along the soil of your garden. These species of ants, which aren’t known to spread disease or cause direct property damage, are known as “nuisance pests.” While they are less destructive than their more serious counterparts, all ants can contaminate food and lead to bigger problems for a property. Here are some of the most well-known nuisance ants to watch out for:
- Pavement ants: These are the ones you see darting in and out of the cracks in the sidewalk, though they are common to find inside structures, too. They are small and black in color.
- Odorous house ants: People often mistake these for pavement ants because they look so similar but step on one and you’ll quickly find out the difference. Odorous ants produce foul-smelling compounds to ward off predators, and this smell can certainly spread throughout a structure.
- Sugar ants: These bugs have a sweet tooth and are attracted to sugary aromas from hundreds of yards away. Even small traces or spills can attract sugar ants to your property.
Dangerous Ant Varieties
Now for the worst kind of ant infestation, the dangerous ones. These ants are dual threats because not only do they pose unique problems for you and your property, they can also contaminate food sources and lead to all the same problems as nuisance ants. Here are some local destructive ants to look out for:
- Carpenter ants: Just like termites, these ants will chew through structural wood. Unlike termites, these ants don’t eat the wood, so they will also forage for and attack stored foods.
- Fire ants: These small, bright red ants pack a lot bigger punch than their size might lead you to believe. With their painful stings and bites, these are the most aggressive ants out there.
- Pharaoh ants: Typically brown in color and larger than most nuisance varieties, pharaoh ants are known to spread harmful diseases like salmonella.
For Total Ant Control, Call White Knight Pest Control
With so many different kinds of ants, any property owner would get overwhelmed. Instead of relying on your own wits and tenacity to control ant populations, turn to the experts. At White Knight Pest Control, our trained technicians know all the kinds of ants that might invade your property, from nuisance varieties to more dangerous ones. Not only can we help you identify any problems and address problem areas, but we can also let you know right away what your risk of infestation is. If ants are already a problem on your property, even if you’re sure they’re a nuisance variety, it’s important to get the opinion of a professional.
Don’t let ants become a big problem for you, turn to White Knight Pest Control today.